The 2016 “Run Less, Run Faster” FREE Training Program – Starting Aug. 9th
The Austin Runners Club is pleased to offer an exclusive, focused marathon and half marathon training program that is FREE for anyone participating in our FREE training sessions. Training is offered year-round, with extra emphasis on preparing runners for winter races, the Austin Distance Challenge. and the Austin Marathon & Half Marathon. This program is based on the innovative Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training (FIRST) training techniques. This unique philosophy makes running more accessible and limits overtraining and burnout while producing faster race times.
Key Points of ARC’s Run Less Run Faster Training Program
- Your custom training plan includes pace goals for each workout that are based on your current fitness level and desired race goal (half marathon or marathon).
- Striving for that BQ? An individualized Boston qualifying training pace will be provided for each workout.
- Three coached group workouts per week:
- Track Workout – Tuesday at O. Henry Middle School on Exposition Blvd (5:55pm).
- Tempo Run – Thursday at O. Henry Middle School (5:55pm).
- Long Run – Saturday morning starting at 7:00 am at the zero mile marker on Butler Trail in front of Auditorium Shores.
The detailed training plans for the marathon and half marathon is the “3plus2” program, which each week consists of:
- 3 quality runs, including track repeats, a tempo run, and a long run, which are designed to work together to improve endurance, lactate-threshold running pace, and leg speed
- 2 aerobic cross-training workouts, such as swimming, rowing, or pedaling a stationary bike, which are designed to improve endurance while helping avoid burnout
“The Furman FIRST training programs are the most detailed, well-organized, and scientific training programs for runners that I have ever seen. For many runners, especially those hard-pressed to find time for their workouts, the Furman FIRST programs will also be the best.” -Amby Burfoot, Editor-at-Large of Runners World magazine and Boston Marathon winner
This training program is free, but consider becoming an ARC member ($30 per year) to enjoy discounts to local races, running stores, and more.
Questions: Contact Coach Al Cumming